Saturday, March 31, 2007

9-1-1

As I sit here trying to type, my body is still shaking. We had some friends over tonight for dinner and to just have adult conversation. They have twins, a boy and a girl. I posted a pick of them before. They are now 6 months old, and the boy, Matthew Jr, has been in the hospital about once a month since he was born. Finally in January, the decided that he has tracheomalasia (sp?). Basically, he has a soft trachea. His windpipe tends to collapse, and he has been rushed by EMS twice to the hospital. Well, tonight makes the third time....

I had fed him while Betty got Leslie to sleep. He was on my shoulder burping when he started gasping. Betty immediately heard him and took him. He stopped breathing, she started CPR, and I called 9-1-1. It was only about 5 minutes before the fire truck got there, but it seemed like eternity. The baby was not breathing, was completely blue, and totally unresponsive. He was more limp than the baby dolls in the playroom. Jason and Matt had gone to the PX, so I also had to call them. Betty did about 3 rounds of CPR on him before she started to panic. This was thr third time that he stopped breathing like this. Both Matt and Betty had to take a CPR class after the last time before they let him out of the hospital. ANyway, fire truck go there, then the MP's, then the city ambulance. Just before they all arrived, he just started breathing again. The 9-1-1 operator stayed on the phone with me the whole time until they got here. SO, once they got here, they checked his vitals and got him hooked up with some oxygen. It was very frustrating that they kept asking about him choking on something. We kept telling them, NO he has this condition, but they didn't understand apparently. Anyway, they left with him in the ambulance, with Matt following in their truck. They said that they may take him to the Children's Hospital instead of the city one, so we are waiting to hear where they are.

We have the other 2 kids here. Ashley is 8, and was going to sleep over anyway, and Leslie, the other twin. All of the girls are getting settled for bed, Leslie is asleep, the boys are asleep, and I think I am going to crash pretty soon too. It has been very nerve-wrecking, stressful, emotional, and just plain out tiring tonight! That was the scariest thing I have ever seen in my life. I just hope I can sleep without those images in my head tonight.