Thursday, April 12, 2007

15 months

Well, I guess our dreams of a shorter deployment this time are shattered. Yesterday, it was announced that all Army deployments will now be 15 months, effective immediately. I guess it is better to know before Jason leaves rather than finding out at the end of the 12 months, like all the guys there now. It just kills me that the Senator from SC said "They will be disappointed, but they will do it anyway." DISAPPOINTED????? That does not even begin to touch the tip of the iceberg on our feelings about it. Being active duty now for almost 14 yrs, we have been very supportive of our govt and the decisions that it has made. But knowing that my husband is going to Iraq for 15 months to sit and twiddle his thumbs is rediculous. I know that there are soldiers there that have a job and really DO a mission, but Jason is not one of those. The unit that they are replacing has already told them that they only do 2 convoys a month. TWO! The rest of the time, they sit around playing cards, and sweeping dirt floors when some higher official comes around. The military just kills me sometimes. I don't care how much extra pay we will be getting while he is gone, we have done it before and I know that it is not worth it. We will probably always be poor because we value our family, our love, our kids so much more than any money could compensate for. Even though we will only have 4-5 years left to retirement after this tour, it is very possible that we might walk right on out the Army door and leave it all behind...