Saturday, January 19, 2008

Bittersweet phone calls

Don't get me wrong, I love to get phone calls from Jason...but at the same time they are definitely bittersweet. He just called 2 days ago. All the kids were still awake except for Austin, so they had the chance to talk to him. Kailyn saw that it was him on the caller ID and was so happy to answer the phone. She talked to him for a bit, then, smiling ear to ear, handed the phone over to Jonathan. He loves talking to his daddy. He asked "What are you doing at your work in Iraq?" So Jason told him about working on the trucks. When he handed me the phone he said excitedly "Daddy is taking the trucks apart and fixing them!" He was so proud of his daddy! Megan wouldn't talk to Jason. She said "I don't want to talk to him because it makes me sad to miss him and I don't want to cry." Doesn't that make your heart just melt? I think that is the hardest part of this whole deployment thing this time...watching what the kids are going through. And knowing that there is nothing I can do about it. Nothing I can say or do to make the hurt go away. We just hug and pray everynight that daddy will be home soon.