Thursday, December 04, 2008

Humiliated

Before I explain the humiliation, I have a confession to make....I have been driving on an expired driver's license for 10 months! *shamefully hanging my head* I completely did not realize that it was expiring until it was too late, then I just never went to get a new one. Anyway, Jamie realized that her license was due to expire next week on her bday, so we both decided to go get a new Hawaii license together. We both had to take the written test since our old ones were out of state. I had to take both the written test AND road test since mine was already expired. I have not had to take ANY driver's test since I originally got my license 16 years ago. I passed the written test with no problems, but did notice the craziness of the 3 that I missed. So, when it was my turn to do the road test, the examiner came out and explained that most people fail b/c of bad habits of driving for years. I knew to be careful and really pay attention to signals, other cars, etc. Apparently Hawaii has some really crappy traffic laws, and I FAILED the road test.

The things that I got points docked were:
1.In Hawaii, when at a stop light waiting to turn left, you are supposed to move up into the middle of the intersection and wait for an opening to turn. (I was involved in an accident in GA b/c I did this and got ticketed for it! I thought you were to NEVER enter an intersection unless you could clear it immediately. This is NOT the case in Hawaii!)
2.When coming to an intersection in which you are making a right hand turn in a right turn only lane, you are supposed to hug the curb as close as possible. Apparently, I was not close enough to the curb, thus did not approach the turn correctly. Mind you, I was in a turn ONLY lane with my blinker on and never crossed out of my lane.
3.Driving down a road with a bike lane on right side...when preparing to make a right turn to a side road, you are to merge into the bike lane to make your right turn. (WHAT?!?!)

So, anyone coming to Hawaii, take heed...you have to drive like a bat out of He** in order to pass the driving test. So much for "better safe than sorry"! My friend said that it is probably b/c I am a white GA girl...2 negatives as far as the locals are concerned! LOL So, I have to wait a week and retest again.

While I wait, give me you opinions...is it better to drive on my expired GA license and play the dumb part if I get pulled over, or to use my valid HI permit (without a licensed driver in the car)???