Saturday, September 19, 2009

Monday, September 14th...

now takes the title of the scariest day of my life. I guess it could even roll over to Tuesday, September 15...those were the days that my baby boy, Austin, lay motionless and unresponsive in an ICU bed in the hospital in Savannah. Before I get started on the story, let me say first that he is home and doing fine now. Praise the Lord! Now, for the story...

We noticed on sunday that Austin was not acting quite the way he usually does. He was acting kindda drunk...slurred speech, slow movements, slow responses, staggered walking, etc. We watched him closely all day and decided to take him tot he doc on monday if he had not changed. We had just stopped giving him one medication the friday prior, so I thought that it might be withdrawals from that medicine. On Monday, he had not changed. Still not exactly sure exactly what to do, I decided to take him to school and see if he would "snap out of it". For those of you who know the issues that he has, you know he is very structure oriented, so I thought maybe that would help a bit if it had to do with a bipolar phase. I did stay at the school, volunteering in the library, so I was closeby if the teacher needed me. After a couple of hourse, his teacher brought him to me. She was very concerned about his actions as well. HE just didn't seem to "be there". He has a runny nose and would just sit there kinnda blank with snot dripping down his face.

So, I called Jason. Told him to call the doctor and see if we needed to take him there or to the ER. They said to take him to the ER. We picked up Jason (whose truck had broken down that morning) and headed to the hospital. We were at the ER at lunchtime. Austin walked in to the ER with us, then climbed in Jason's lap. He went pretty limp from there. I took him so Jason could get a drink. After 45 minutes, we got called into the Triage Room. Austin could barely stand to get weighed at that point. The Triage Nurse immediately took us to a Treatment Room and briefed the docs and nurses about what was going on. After getting checked again by the doc, they started an IV, took blood, and sent us down for a CT Scan. By the time all of that was done, Austin could barely talk anymore. He struggled to open his eyes and nod his head for "yes and no".

All of the bloodwork and CT came back negative. The Pediatrician on call saw him, and decided to send him to Memorial Hospital in Savannah for Neurological treatment. (We were freaking out at this point!) We called friends to arrange care for the other kids, and to start a prayer chain for him. I rode in the ambulance with Austin and Jason drove to the hospital. Austin was admitted into the Pediatric ICU at about 7pm. (We are still freaking out) The PICU doc cam ein do check him out. She was fantastic! She said that she thought it was 1 of 2 things going on...either a freak reaction to his medication or a post infection from when he was sick last week. They did more tests, including a Lumbar Puncture to test his spinal fluid. We waited a while longer for those results to come in. They came back normal as well. They decided to start treating as if it was his medicine causing it, so they gave him something to try to counter the effects. Then we waited...

My mom had already gotten on the road headed for Savannah. She arrived a little after 9pm. Our PICU nurse had arranged a room for us to use to rest, change, etc down the hall from the ICU. Sometime after midnight, Jason and I went to nap while my mom sat with Austin. It was so hard to leave that room, but we knew we needed to get a little rest b/c we didn't know what was still going to happen. I think I napped in and out for about 2 1/2 hours, but I know I was back in his room at 3am. Nothing had changed. Still no signs of anything...except his vitals remained normal. The nurse was starting to get quite upset with it too, so he called the doc again and they decided to try another med to counter the effects. I think they administered it around 5am. Just after then, my mom and I walked out to get something to drink and snacks. When we came back into the room about 6am, he was just starting to show signs of waking up! By 7am, he was eating a popsicle! It took him more than a day to completely return, but he did come back to us!

Tuesday afternoon, they moved him out of PICU and into the regular Peds Ward. He stayed there overnight, and we came home Wednesday afternoon. He is back to my active, talkative, nonstop little boy now! Thank you,God! We have already seen his doc again, and are working with medications again. We are going to start one at the time, and go very slowly. Austin even went to school on friday. You would never be able to tell that he was in the hospital if you didn't know it. It is so mazing how quickly kids recover from things!

Thank you to all my wonderful family and friends for your thoughts, prayers, help during this time! You all mean so much to us! We are truly blessed!